Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Tuesday's Tomatoes

Pics to post (they are in camera in car) ...

I got about five more tomatoes into the old tomato patch. It wasn't where I'd planned on putting them but spacing seemed crowded where I originally planned to put them and so being in the garden allowed me to get another sense of where I thought these particular ones would do well. I put in my two precious Principe Borgheses. If I had to chose a tomato this year that I am really interested in seeing grow, I would have to say it is this one. I had thought I'd put them on the roof and then I thought I'd try one on the roof and the other in the garden, but I changed my mind and decided to have them both in the garden so they could get the best root system developed and really produce. Next year I can experiment with some on the roof and some in the garden - if they are as good as I hope they will be. [Last year it was the San Marzanoes that I was really interested in - then I kind of lost all the tags and only thought I knew which ones they were - so this year I will keep an eye on how the SM's do again and compare them to the PB's.]


Determinate, 70-75 days. The Italian heirloom that is famous for sun drying. Small 1-2 oz. grape-shaped fruit are very dry and have few seeds. They have a rich tomato taste that is wonderful for sauces. Determinate vines yield clusters of fruit in abundance, perfect for selling in fresh markets and making specialty products. We offer pure Italian seed.

or
78 days. (Semi-determinate) Italian heirloom bred for sun drying, this low moisture variety maintains more flavor when dried than do other varieties. 2" fruits are round with small points on the end. Prized in Italian cooking when reconstituted in olive oil, they can also be crushed into small flakes to quickly thicken a thin sauce while adding a rich tomato flavor. Pkt.

or
75 days, determinate — Italian heirloom variety very popular in Italy and California for splitting in half and sun drying. They maintain color and flavor well. The plants produce heavy yields of small, red plum-shaped fruits. The plants will benefit from support such as caging.

Now I have a total of 39 tomatoes planted in ... come on - I know I can get that number into the 40's ... not so sure I'll be able to name them properly (I have a collection with lost tags)!.

No comments:

Followers