Monday, February 9, 2009

peppers are planted 10 weeks before last frost (20 Apr 09)

My peppers are planted. They were to have been done 8-10 weeks before the final frost (20 April) ... that's today & I gott'er done!

I put the dusty potting soil into a glass container and added boiling water to it ... Then I put the potting soil in the long removable planting cells knowing I wanted to save them for my tomatoes. But I moved quickly past that and realized that since I wasn't using all the long removeables began eying the long glasses & yes they fit perfectly over them but the bottoms were a little uncovered - still they stood on their own; but then I couldn't remember if I needed to keep a perfectly humid environment ... so I googled 'how to plant pepper seeds' and found out I didn't know what I was doing at all - the tops don't need to be covered to germinate peppers, etc.; and I should have washed the pots with a 50% bleach solution of I'd used them last year (well I didn't but someone else did & I'm sure they wouldn't have bothered to wash them either ... but what the heck ... I wanted them for my tomatoes so I started again). I found some similar looking pots and brought them downstairs to the kitchen sink and washed them thoroughly. I removed the soil in the removeable cells and placed it in the clean pots and found a chop stick to push my 1/2" holes into the surface and located a tiny spoon to scoop seeds out of my palm to plant 4 per pot into the heated soil. First the Jalapenos, then the California Wonder Peppers ... then I tamped down the soil and took the pots out to drain the water out of the bottom of the tray ... and yup - you guessed it - which pots were which!

You know what - I don't care. They are peppers!

What a production. And it's all coming back to me again ... how last year I muffed up from day 1 on and I was never sure really sure which pots contained what on well over half of what I had. Some labels never made it into the pots. Some fell out after the first watering, some during subsequent ones ... others enroute to the garden, many were lost as they were planted in and some lost it sometime during the growing season (you know rain, animals, snakes, people, me ...) and come to think of it where are all the stray tags now - don't tell me I have to make more ...

Here's what I know for sure ... until I plant anything else, there will be no more mix ups.

No comments:

Followers