Friday, April 24, 2009

my car is full of cow poop & dirt + how to sheet mulch

I made my first trip ever out to Humber Nurseries ... I now have 10 bags of dirt (the best kind with 3 different things in it ... compost, etc) and I got 2 bags of cow manure for $1.50 each because the bags were broken ... they put it into a big see-through plastic dry cleaners bag and tied it up for me so it wouldn't get all over the car. Normally a bag of cow manure is $4.50 ... so I saved six bucks on cow poop today ... I'll bet not many in Toronto can say this today! It's one weird hobby when you really think about it ...

Now I really must get to the allotment asap and dump the poop ... while I'm there, I'll dig up some soil and plant some peas after I roll them in innoculant (last year someone told me to save my money and just pee on them) ... I didn't (and they didn't grow) ... so this year I sprang for the innoculant heheh ... and it's time to plant out the arugula and salad mix while the weather's still a little cool ...

I need to fill some of my containers with potting mix and soil and carry them up to the roof from the garage and get my leeks planted out too I think (maybe) ?



Today's Friday ... here's what's up from deep cell soil planting on Monday

6 Red Russian Kale (1 " tall)
1 West Indian Gerkin Cucumber
4 Rapini (3 " tall)
4 Early Palla Rosa Radicchio (1" tall)
3 Early Palla Rosa Radicchio (1" tall)
1 Broccoli Romaesca Natalino (1 " tall)
2 Broccoli Romaesca Natalino (1 " tall)

so far that's it!

I'm going to have to clear a shelf for them in the livingroom window and move the aerogarden over so the light is intensified. What a busy weekend!!!

My next job is tilling the garden and adding manure & maybe some newspaper and straw ... I've also got ground cloth and that red tomato cloth! Hmmm...

No comments:

Followers